The Classic Sale At Silverstone Festival 25th - 27th August 2023

+ buyers premium of 12.5% plus VAT (15% incl VAT) on the first £300,000 of the hammer and 10% plus VAT (12% incl VAT) thereafter 265 Jaguar Cars launched the XK140 at the London Motor Show in October 1954 with a raft of improvements over its predecessor, the landmark XK120. The styling was enhanced by a revised grille and larger bumpers along with new rear lights, which now incorporated the indicators. The handling was improved by rack and pinion steering and telescopic dampers and the interior space was enlarged to allow the addition of occasional rear seats. The power unit remained Jaguar’s well-proven, 3.4-litre, twin-cam six, which now produced 190bhp in standard trim thanks to higher-lift camshafts and revised porting. To ensure reliability, steel bearing caps replaced the previous cast-iron type. A close-ratio gearbox enabled better use to be made of the increased performance whilst a Laycock de Normanville overdrive became an option for the first time. Special Equipment (SE) XK140s came with wire wheels and Lucas fog lamps and could be ordered with an engine developing 210bhp courtesy of a ‘C’-type cylinder head. According to its Heritage Certificate, this right-hand drive, XK140 DHC was completed on 16/06/1955 finished in Dove Grey with Tan leather and a Fawn hood. It was despatched on 24/06/1955 to Belle Vale Service Station (now Henlys, Manchester) prior to being delivered to its first owner, a Leo McParland of Wallasey who registered it as DHF 28 on 27/06/1955. From the helpful ownership history provided with the car, we can see that in 1978 it was purchased by a Mr Adams who commenced what was to be an extended restoration. One further owner followed before DHF became the property on 03/03/1986 of Edward Billins who picked up the reins of the restoration and handed the car over to the Marina Garage in Southampton. Some 14 years later, the restoration was still not complete and, for whatever reason, ownership of the Jaguar passed to the Marina Garage. The final chapter of this long-running saga commenced in 2010 when the XK was purchased by the Beaulieu Garage, also in Southampton, and according to the file it was “running but required the trim and woodwork finishing”. This was obviously done as there is an invoice in the file from 2010 for £9,437 detailing a full retrim, new hood and associated fittings. There are a number of further invoices in the file including one for £5,000 for labour in 2011 and we assume this relates to the Jaguar being refinished in a deep coat of Indigo Blue. DHF 28 was purchased by our vendor in June 2011 and has been enjoyed since then being maintained and upgraded in-house by his experienced engineers. A substantial invoice from October 2014 details a full engine rebuild with a new clutch, the installation of a 5-speed T5 gearbox, power steering kit and upgraded cooling fan. (the original parts have all been retained in the interests of returning the car to standard. Next to the XK150S Roadster, the right-hand drive XK140 drophead is the second most rare of the XK range and this stunning dark blue example with chrome wire wheels and a crisp grey and blue interior is one of the best we have seen. We invite and encourage you to view this lovely Jaguar at the Classic to appreciate the quality on offer. Beautifully restored in the past and on offer from diligent, long-term ownership. Lot 740 1955 Jaguar XK140 Drophead Coupé Registration: DHF 28 Chassis No.: 807170 Estimate: £100,000 - £120,000 Specialist: Rob Hubbard Telephone No: 07775 511825 More Details Lot 740 Bid On Lot 740